Old Frederick Road (MD 144) | The National Pike (U.S 40)
The National Pike, sometimes called “The Cumberland Road,” was the first highway to be funded by the Federal government. Authorized in 1806 it would connect Cumberland, Maryland to Wheeling, WV. The road was completed in 1818. The road extended eastward via private turnpikes to Baltimore, this section in time also becoming known as the National Pike. From Frederick a branch known as the Washington National Pike (MD 355) was constructed southeastward to Georgetown (Washington. D.C.). [More History] Originally the pike was to extend to St. Louis, however with the Panic of 1837, the road terminated at Vandalia, IL. U.S. 40 is one of the original 1920s Highway Act roads. Originally it extended from Atlantic City, NJ to San Francisco. Its currently terminates on the western end at Park City, Utah. “Old Frederick Road (MD 144)” is a segment of the old alignment of U.S. 40. The images posted here are from the Maryland portion.